Monday, 4 November 2013

Glitter Phone Case

After nearly four years with my old iPhone 3GS, it was time to move on. I think my old iPhone was making that clear by deleting all my contacts about every month. 

Getting a new phone also gave me the opportunity for a new craft. How terrible would it be to get a pretty new phone and put it into a boring, ugly case?!

If you haven't gathered so far from the items on the blog, I am a fan of glitter and sparkle. Here is a quick, cheap and easy way to make a custom glitter phone case. 

Items you will need:
  • Glitter - I used some fine purple glitter. I was able to find a pack of 4 colors at the dollar store. 
  • Mod Podge
  • Sponge brush
  • Phone case - I like the soft or gel ones, as they seem to absorb shock a little better when I drop my phone (which happens more than I care to admit.) I bought this one on eBay for about $1. I would recommend a clear one, mine was slightly tinted, but a colored one could work as well.  
 1. Cover the phone case in an even layer of Mod Podge using your sponge brush, don't forget the sides.
 2. Cover the Mod Podge in glitter, spread it around in an even layer. Then let dry. Feel free to repeat this step if you have some bare patches or want a thicker glitter coat. I only used one layer.



















 Note: some methods on the internet recommend first making a mixture of the Mod Podge and glitter and then painting that on the phone case. I had no issues with my method, just posting this as an alternative. 

3. When the  first layer of Mod Podge and glitter is dry, coat the phone with an even and generous layer of Mod Podge, and let dry thoroughly.
I would recommend turning your phone over and also doing the lip on the other side. I did two layers of the final Mod Podge layer just to ensure that everything was locked in tight. 

I am loving my new phone case, and it was so much cheaper than any case you could buy in store here. Mobile stores here sell basic cases for $15 and even more for pretty ones. $1 for the case, $1 for 4 colors of glitter, and Mod Podge and sponge brush that I had on hand. Would be a great gift for a friend as well. Christmas is coming...
Back view
Front view



1 comment:

  1. Out of a line-up of 1000 phones, I would totally recognize this as yours. It captures the very Andrea-esque philosophy that everything can be made better with a bit of Mod Podge and purple glitter.

    ReplyDelete